Monday, October 10, 2011

Curtain Rods and Curtains

  Well, I have had my eye? eyes? on these CURTAINS for months. JcPenney has had them on clearance and then they haven't, then they did, then they didn't, and I caught them again when they did. Yay me! I only bought 2, at $.9.99 a piece, after shipping, etc it was $27ish. Blech. But, overall, not horrible.

I went to my local Lowe's and found some dowels and some finials. The dowels were like $2 or so a piece. I spent like $5 on 2 of them. They are 36 inches long and 5/8 thick. The finials were under $5, too or $5 total for 4 of them. WOW! I was SHOCKED. SHOCKED, I tell ya. I can't believe I haven't done this before now. I have $35 curtain rods sitting behind my couch right now. It makes me sick. I know that is "cheap" compared to some, but it hurt me paying $35 for curtain rods. Anyhoo, I bought black indoor/outdoor spray paint (my first time buying spray paint in over a decade). I got the glossy finish.



I am not experienced in this, to say the least. My grass is black now, since I sprayed this stuff over the grass. Then, my notthinkingself laid the rods on the grass to dry, placed the finials in between the stones of my flower garden, and went inside for 15 mins. I came back out and it was mostly dry, with some grass stuck all of the rods. I pulled the grass off and it was kinda funny. It left like a design on the rods. A textured type thing. And....I figured no none would really see it up close, so I left it. Hee hee.

I found some brackets that would fit the rods at Walmart in a package that sold a curtain rod with it. They didn't have them separate. So I bought 2 of them for $6 total. When I looked at Lowe's they were like $5 A PIECE. Same with the finials. I wasn't paying $20 for finials and then $10-$20 for the brackets. Uh uh. Not this momma.

Oh, I did end up cutting the rod in half. I still have a 36 in one, but I didn't need it. When I cut the one in half, it made a total of about 24 inches WITH the finials. That was fine for what I needed. My curtains are only 42 inches wide. I figure this way, they look a bit fuller. I didn't want to buy another 2. I know, I am cheap, but I would seriously cry if I spent another $27 when I could have shipped them all of $47. kwim?

Here is the finished product: 



It isn't WONDERFUL, but I like it. I couldn't have done it without Thrifty Decor Chick though. That girl kicks ass when it comes to decorating and ideas. Thanks, Sarah!

Aren't the curtains ADORABLE????? They had them in blue, which would look AWESOME in my bedroom, with the Steel Blue paint by Glidden (that I still have to finish up) but when I bought the brown ones, they were out of blue. :*(



No comments: