Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

I am JUST NOW getting around to posting this! I made these for my son's 8th birthday. He couldn't decide if he wanted a big chocolate chip cookie or a cake...I did a little googling and came across this lovely PIECE OF HEAVEN. I KNEW the kids would LOVE them.

I didn't follow the instructions completely, as I wasn't about to make a cake from scratch when I was short on time. So I got a yellow cake mix (the kind with the pudding in the mix) and went to town. :) This is my edited version of hers.

For the filling:

4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
about 3/4 c regular 2% milk (Hey, I don't carry condensed milk in my house on a reg basis)
1tsp. vanilla extract1/2cup REGULAR semisweet chocolate chips
  *note* 8oz is a cup. You may have to adjust up a bit.

For the frosting:
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
3½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. milk
2½ tsp. vanilla extract

I just used regular sized choc chips or the decorations, too. Not mini.


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Make your cake batter like you normally would according to the directions on the box.

Cookie dough: This is easy, it's pretty much everything BUT eggs. It is an egg free filling!!! That means, YOU CAN EAT IT RAW! 
Combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high.  Add the flour, sweetened condensed milk/ or MILK  and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in the chocolate chips.I rolled mine in little balls using a teaspoon or something, I can't remember which. I have an ice cream scoop, so maybe that? Anyway, I froze mine for about an hour.

Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 way full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, allow the cupcakes to cool. I test mine with a toothpick, which is what most people do. :)

Here is where we did things differently. I BAKED the choc chip cookie dough in with the cupcake batter. I just dropped a chunk of dough in the cupcake. See:
She doesn't in hers.




Frosting: (also egg free!!)  Mix the butter and brown sugar, add the powdered sugar, beat. Add in the flour and salt.  Mix in the milk and vanilla extract until smooth.

Frost as you want!

No comments: